The “invalid or incomplete game version” error occurs when a wrong patch is applied to the game, or when the game cannot find all the necessary files. It can happen if in the game’s installation path there are folders named using diacritic signs not compatible with the current Windows locale (eg. ń in Wiedżmin on an English system). It can also be caused by installing the game on Windows Vista or Windows 7 without administrator priviliges or by lack of space on the system partition.
In order to solve this problem:
- Manually download and install the 0->1.35 version of the patch 1.35.
- If the above does not help, please uninstall the game.
- Make sure that all files from the game’s folder were deleted.
- Run the installer as administrator.
- Install the game in a folder that doesn’t include diacritic signs.
In order to run the game as administrator, on Windows XP you have to login on the Administrator account (in case of Windows XP) and on Windows Vista and Windows 7 right-click setup.exe, which can be found on the game’s DVD 1, and choose the option “Run as administrator”.