In the patch 2.1 Microsoft’s .NET Framework 4 became necessary to run The Witcher 2, which fixed several problems with game-to-server communication. However, in some cases this also led to problems with launching the game, notably to errors like “application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142)” and similar, which most often resulted from conflicts between .NET 4 and other applications.
THE DOTNET HOTFIX
We created a hotfix especially for the people who experience the problems mentioned above. The hotfix makes .NET Framework 4 unnecessary to run the game. The hotfix will work correctly ONLY when applied on the game updated to 3.4.
Click to download the HOTFIX
PLEASE NOTE! This hotfix SHOULD NOT be used with the Steam version of the game. A solution for the .NET 4 problems for Steam version users was included in the 3.1 patch.
If you would prefer to not use the hotfix then the following suggestions may potentially prove helpful:
REINSTALLING AND FIXING .NET FRAMEWORK 4
- Fully uninstall .NET Framework 4 Extended and .NET Framework 4 Client Profile.
- Restart the computer.
- Download and install .NET Framework 4.
- Restart the computer, set the settings in Launcher Options and try to run the game.
Keeping your Windows fully updated is advisable. Additionally, for potentially broken .NET Framework installations Microsoft recommends Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool to be found HERE.
KNOWN CONFLICTS WITH EXTERNAL APPLICATIONS
There are several known instances of external applications conflicting with .NET Framework 4 in this context:
- Acaptuser32.dll, which is a part of 3d Capture plugin for Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 Extended. Acaptuser32.dll can be found in c:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64 and/or c:\WINDOWS\System32.
It is enough to rename the Acaptuser32.dll or remove it from its folder to deal with the errors. Reverting these changes will return 100% functionality to Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 Extended. So, disabling the application is not enough but you don’t have to uninstall it either. It’s the dll’s presence that makes all the difference.
- The 32-bit version of appinit_dll.dll, which is a part of Lucidlogix Virtu, GPU virtualization software which comes with some motherboards like e.g. ASRock Z68. Appinit_dll.dll can be found in (…)Lucidlogix Technologies\VIRTU\x86 folder. The 32-bit appinit_dll.dll which is a part of Hydralogix drivers and can be found in (…)Lucidlogix Technologies\HYDRALOGIX\x86 folder causes the same problem.
This case is similar to the Acrobat Pro 9 one. In order to deal with the errors it is enough to rename or the 32-bit appinit_dll.dll or remove it from its folder. Reverting these changes will return 100% functionality to Virtu and Hydralogix.
- Kaspersky Internet Security 2011. Upgrading to 2012 version is known to fix the problem.
- Several browser toolbars including Jzip toolbar, Wincore Media bar, BearShare toolbar, Searchqu toolbar, IJJI toolbar, iLivid toolbarand Conduit Engine. If you have a toolbar, a torrent-bar etc. which you cannot fully trust, even if it is not listed here, it is possible that it is the source of the problem.
SYNCHRONISING THE INTERNET TIME
In some cases synchronizing the internet time on Windows was of help. However, this option is available only on some setups. When it is it can be found in Control Panel\Date and Time as an additional tab Internet Time. To adjust it use the Change Settings box available in that tab and select Update Now.
Additionally, starting the game after performing a clean boot on your computer might help in determining whether an external application prevents The Witcher 2 from launching correctly. See how to perform a clean boot in Windows XP, a clean boot in Windows Vista/Windows 7.